Advertising Art & Design Technology
15 months, 1590 hours
In advertising, graphic designers – or graphic artists – plan, analyze, and create visual solutions to communications problems. They find the most effective way to get messages across in print, electronic, and digital media using a variety of methods such as color, type, illustration, photography, animation, and various print and layout techniques. Graphic designers develop the overall layout and production design of magazines, newspapers, journals, corporate reports, and other publications. Graphic designers also develop material for web pages, interactive media, and multimedia projects.
The coursework is designed to teach skills utilized in creating visual solutions using appropriate computer software for drawing, layout and analysis in a state-of-the-art digital design studio.
This program covers the following topics: fundamentals of computerized design technology, principles of typography, principles of color, product production procedures, principles of basic photography, principles of graphic design, fundamentals of illustration, electronic illustration, processes of image manipulation, fundamentals of page layout, introduction to web design, introduction to web programming, web design graphics development, fundamentals of web animation, and project production management. In addition, students will participate in learning experiences in all programs in the Communications Cluster and interact with students from Communication Media, Graphic Imaging, and Photo Imaging.
When students graduate, they have a complete portfolio of work that will aid in seeking entry-level positions in the graphic design and commercial art fields.
- Adobe Certified Associate – Visual Communication, Graphic Design & Illustration, Print & Design Media Publication
- OSHA/CareerSafe 10-Hour Certification
Required Safety Gear
Two Shirt (ANY STYLE listed)· Black Short Sleeve Polo Shirt with BCTC Logo· Black Long Sleeve Polo Shirt with BCTC LogoOPTIONAL:
· Charcoal Crewneck Sweatshirt with BCTC Logo
• Skirts, dress shorts – cargo/denim/golf style appropriate length – to the knee and proper fitting and no holes
• Cotton blue jeans, khakis/cargo pants, dress pants – proper fitting and no holes
Casual shoes, sneakers, dress shoes, or work boots
PLEASE NOTE: No textbook is currently required for Advertising Art & Design Technology.
Tool / Supply / Protective Equipment
|Quantity Needed||Level 1, 2, or 3||Approximate Cost||Suggested Vendor|
|Footwear Requirement: Casual shoes, sneakers, dress shoes, or work boots; No open-toed shoes or flip flops||1 pair||Levels 1, 2, & 3||TBD||Any store|
|USB Drive, minimum 8 GB||1||Levels 1, 2, & 3||$15.00||Any store|
|Spiral Bound Sketch Book – 9″ x 12″||1||Levels 1, 2, & 3||$10.00||Any store|
|Earbuds or Headphones||1 pair||Levels 1, 2, & 3||$10.00 +||Any store|
|3″, 3-Ring Binder||1||Levels 1, 2, & 3||$5.00||Any store|
* BCTC will pay for one pair of safety glasses (if required) and may assist with payment for the testing fees or core certification tests (first time only). Additional safety glasses and testing fees must be paid by the student.
Program Entrance Recommendations:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Algebra I or Geometry
- Problem-solving / troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Hand-eye coordination
- Artistic ability / creativity
- Graphic Designer
- Desktop Publishing Specialist