Computer Systems Networking & Security
15 months, 1628 hours
IT Networking is a professional course that prepares students with industry standard credentials and technical certifications to aid in their understanding of computers and the inter- working of them. While working in BCTC’s state-of-the-art lab, students will use concepts introduced in theory and reinforced through Cisco Networking Academy curriculum to build and repair computer systems and understand and configure components of a computer networking infrastructure. The instruction focuses on A+ Certification, Net+ Certification, Windows Operating System, Server Operating System, Active Directory for Microsoft Server 2012, Alternate Operating Systems, and Advanced Concepts of Networking. The curriculum is reviewed annually for relevancy and updated as industry standards dictate.
Upon completion of the course, students are prepared for a variety of certification exams, including the MTA Network Fundamentals Exam. Graduates of this program are well prepared for entry level employment.
Additional education can lead to more opportunities in networking and information technology.
- Network+, Strata, A+
- OSHA/CareerSafe 10-Hour Certification
- MTA Network Fundamentals
- MTA Server Fundamentals
Required Safety Gear
• One Navy Short Sleeve Polo Shirt with BCTC LogoOPTIONAL
• Charcoal Crewneck Sweatshirt with BCTC Logo• Navy Long Sleeve Tee Shirt with BCTC Logo
|• Cotton blue jeans, Khakis/cargo pants, Dress pants – proper fitting and no holes
• Skirts, dress shorts – cargo/denim/golf style appropriate length – to the knee and proper fitting and no holes
|Closed toed, appropriate casual business attire footwear||N/A
The link provided for each book title will take you to Goodheart-Wilcox.com. Please note that you are NOT required to purchase the books from Goodheart-Wilcox. You may purchase the books from any vendor.
Security Essentials – by Linda K. Lavender
ISBN #: 978-1-64564-637-2
Tool / Supply / Protective Equipment Description
|Quantity Needed||Level 1, 2, or 3||Approximate Cost||Suggested Vendor|
|Footwear Requirement: Closed toed, appropriate casual business attire footwear||1 pair||Levels 1, 2, & 3||TBD||Any store|
* BCTC will pay for one pair of safety glasses (if required) and may assist with payment for the testing fees or core certification tests (first time only). Additional safety glasses and testing fees must be paid by the student.
Program Entrance Recommendations:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Algebra I or Geometry
- Problem-solving / troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Hand-eye coordination
- Mechanical aptitude
- Computer User Support Specialist
- Computer Network Support Specialist