15 months, 1590 hours
The Dental Occupations program integrates lectures, demonstrations and hands-on experiences to teach students a variety of dental related subjects. The program provides leading edge training for careers as a dental assistant, dental laboratory technician assistant or a circulating assistant.
The curriculum covers an introduction to healthcare, infection control, safety and emergency procedures, ethical/ legal responsibilities, normal body functions and common disorders, patient care and procedures, office procedures, pharmacology, radiology, operative dentistry, dental materials, dental laboratory procedures, oral surgery, periodontics, and prosthodontics.
By completing this program, students are well prepared for their chosen careers. As dental assistants, they assist dentists during examination and treatment of patients. Students learn to prepare patients for treatment, sterilize instruments, prepare materials and make study models from impressions, expose and process x-ray film and provide chairside assistance for the dentist. Dental laboratory technician assistants learn to work in a dental laboratory assisting with the creation of dental prostheses (replacements for natural teeth).
- Radiation Health & Safety (RHS) – only for Dental Assisting Track
- OSHA/CareerSafe 10-Hour Certification
Required Safety Gear
· Two Black V-Neck Scrub Tops with BCTC Logo· Two Pairs Black Scrub Pants· One White Warm Up Jacket with BCTC Logo
· One Pair of White Zone Clogs
|N/A||White crew socks||N/A|
The link provided for each book title will take you to Amazon.com. Please note that you are NOT required to purchase the books from Amazon. You may purchase the books from any vendor.
First & Second Year Students
Modern Dental Assisting – by Doni L. Bird CDA RDH MA and Debbie S. Robinson CDA MS; 13th Edition
ISBN #: 978-0323624855
Third Year Students
Dental Radiography: Principles and Techniques – by Joen Iannucci DDS MS and Laura Jansen Howerton RDH MS; 5th Edition
ISBN #: 978-0-32329-742-4
Tool / Supply / Protective Equipment
|Quantity Needed||Level 1, 2, or 3||Approximate Cost||Suggested Vendor|
|Footwear Requirement: White unisex zone clogs||1 pair||Level 1||$27.00||APEX – BCTC Uniform Store|
* BCTC will pay for one pair of safety glasses (if required) and may assist with payment for the testing fees or core certification tests (first time only). Additional safety glasses and testing fees must be paid by the student.
Program Entrance Recommendations:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Algebra I or Geometry
- Problem-solving / troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Hand-eye coordination
- Dental Assistant
- Dental Laboratory Technician Assistant
- Sterilization Assistant