Early Childhood Education
15 months, 1622 hours
The Early Childhood Education program is designed to train and prepare students for employment in the early learning field and provides the foundation for study in higher education. Students in this program gain daily practical experience in the on-site child care school.
Students study all phases of child development: physical, social, emotional and intellectual. The curriculum focuses on the following topics: establishing and maintaining a safe, healthy learning environment; advance physical and intellectual competence; supporting social and emotional development and providing positive guidance; establishing positive and productive relationships with families; ensuring a well-run, purposeful program responsive to children’s needs; and maintaining professionalism. Each student works independently with a combination of learning strategies used to enhance the student’s growth.
Graduates of this program are well prepared for a variety of careers working with children including employment in day care centers, nursery schools, elementary schools, Head Start classes, playgrounds, recreation centers and early childhood education centers. A student graduating in this program can qualify as an assistant group supervisor in child day care centers throughout Pennsylvania.
- Child Development Associate (CDA)-Ready Certificate
- First Aid, Infant and Child CPR
- OSHA/CareerSafe 10-Hour Certification
Required Safety Gear
One Shirt (Any Style Listed):
· Burgundy Short Sleeve Polo Shirt with BCTC Logo
· Burgundy Long Sleeve Polo Shirt with BCTC LogoOPTIONAL:
· Burgundy Sweatshirt with BCTC Logo
|Khaki pants – proper fitting and no holes||Comfortable closed-toe shoes.||N/A|
PLEASE NOTE: No textbook is required for this program. Program instructor will provide all needed details at New Student Orientation.
Tool / Supply / Protective Equipment
|Quantity Needed||Level 1, 2, or 3||Approximate Cost||Suggested Vendor|
|Footwear Requirement: Closed toed, comfortable shoes for all kinds of weather||1 pair||Levels 1, 2, & 3||TBD||Any store|
|2”, 3-Ring Binder||1||Levels 1, 2, & 3||$10.00||Walmart|
Program Entrance Recommendations:
- Emotional Maturity
- Students will be working directly with preschool age children and must demonstrate respect and self control at all times.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Algebra I or Geometry
- Problem-solving / troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Hand-eye coordination
- Artistic ability / creativity
- Preschool Instructor (not specialized)
- Child Care Worker
- Teacher Assistant
- Personal & Home Care Aide
- Recreation Worker