Plumbing & Heating
15 months, 1590 hours
This program is accredited by the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) through the Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) and provides participants with defined career paths in the industry. Students in this program are involved in classroom and practical learning experiences designed to help them develop the necessary skills to be successful in the industry.
Plumbers and pipe fitters assemble, install, alter, and repair pipes and pipe systems that carry water, steam, air, or other liquids and gasses for sanitation, industrial and other uses. They also install plumbing fixtures, appliances, and heating systems. Safe and proper mechanical practices are essential components as they help to protect the health and well-being of the nation.
The hands-on approach to training will cover layout, assembly, installation and repair of pipes, fittings, and fixtures of heating, water and drainage systems according to manuals, specifications and plumbing codes. Also included are the installing, repairing, operating and testing of various types of residential and commercial heating equipment and the controls necessary for their operation. Graduates of this program are prepared for entry level work and/or apprenticeship opportunities.
- NCCER Core
- OSHA/CareerSafe 10-Hour Certification
Required Safety Gear
· One Forest Green Short Sleeve Tee Shirt with BCTC Logo
· One Spruce Green Short Sleeve Work Shirt with BCTC Logo
· Forest Green Long Sleeve Tee Shirt with BCTC Logo
· Charcoal Crewneck Sweatshirt with BCTC Logo
|· Cotton blue or black jeans – proper fitting and no holes||
Leather work shoes with non-scuffing sole
Steel tips are optional
|Safety glasses provided by BCTC|
The link provided for each book title will take you to Amazon.com. Please note that you are NOT required to purchase the books from Amazon. You may purchase the books from any vendor.
Plumbing Design and Installation (4th Edition) – by L. V. Ripka
ISBN #: 978-0-82690-642-7
Plumbing Design and Installation Workbook (4th Edition) – by ATP Staff
ISBN #: 978-0-82690-643-4
Must Purchase Workbook New
Tool / Supply / Protective Equipment
|Quantity Needed||Level 1, 2, or 3||Approximate Cost||Suggested Vendor|
|Footwear Requirement: Leather work shoes with non-scuffing sole. Steel tips are optional||1 pair||Levels 1, 2, & 3||TBD||Any store|
|Measuring Tape up to 25′||1||Levels 1, 2, & 3||$5.00 – $15.00||Lowes or Home Depot|
|Torpedo Level||1||Levels 1, 2, & 3||$5.00 – $15.00||Lowes or Home Depot|
* BCTC will pay for one pair of safety glasses (if required) and may assist with payment for the testing fees or core certification tests (first time only). Additional safety glasses and testing fees must be paid by the student.
Program Entrance Recommendations:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Algebra I or Geometry
- Problem-solving / troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Hand-eye coordination
- Mechanical aptitude
- Plumber (Construction)
- Pipelayer, Plumber, Pipefitter or Steamfitter Helper
- Plumber Apprentice