Recreational & Power Equipment Technology
15 months, 1590 hours
The Recreational & Power Equipment Technology Program course has earned national technician certification from the Equipment and Engine Training Council (EETC). BCTC is one of only a few technical facilities in Pennsylvania to achieve this standard making it a premier training program for students in Berks County.
The program is designed to teach skills in the service, sales, operation and repair of lawn and garden equipment, chain saws, outboard motors, portable generators, pumps, farm equipment, motorcycles, industrial equipment and snowmobiles. Students perform “live work” for customers, which gives them invaluable experience in estimating, parts ordering, repair, and customer service. Students study measuring tools, ordering and record keeping, small engine design and components, fuel systems, lubrication systems, starting/electrical systems, troubleshooting, overhaul, drivelines, and welding. In addition, repair and service of lawn and garden equipment, chain saws, snowmobiles and motorcycles is taught.
By completing the course, the students are prepared to obtain EETC certification in 2- and 4- cycle gas engines, hydraulic systems, electrical systems, transmissions and drives. Students are qualified to pursue careers as farm equipment, motorcycle, motorboat mechanics, or small engine mechanics.
- Outdoor Power Equipment Technician
- Certificate Certified Safety Inspector, Cat I
- OSHA/CareerSafe 10-Hour Certification
Required Safety Gear
· One Navy Short Sleeve Tee Shirt with BCTC Logo
· One Pair Navy Industrial Work Pants – proper fitting and no holesOPTIONAL:
· Charcoal Crewneck Sweatshirt with BCTC Logo
· Navy Long Sleeve Work Shirt with BCTC Logo
|N/A||Work boots, 6″ high, all leather||
· Safety glasses provided by BCTC
· Mechanic’s gloves/Hat (optional)
Small Gas Engines (11th Edition) (Textbook/Workbook) – by Alfred C. Roth, Blake Fisher and W. Scott Gauthier
Students will utilize an ebook for this textbook and will be required to purchase a usage code through BCTC.
Tool / Supply / Protective Equipment
|Quantity Needed||Level 1, 2, or 3||Approximate Cost||Suggested Vendor|
|Footwear Requirement: Work boots, 6″ high, all leather||1 pair||Levels 1, 2, & 3||$50.00 – $100.00+||Any store|
|Mechanic’s Gloves||1||Levels 1, 2, & 3||$20.00||Lowes or Home Depot|
Program Entrance Recommendations:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Algebra I or Geometry
- Problem-solving / troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Hand-eye coordination
- Mechanical aptitude
- Farm Equipment Mechanic and Service Technician
- Motorcycle Mechanic
- Motorboat Mechanic and Service Technician
- Outdoor Power Equipment & Small Engine Mechanic (Lawn & Garden)