Location: East Campus (Oley) Instructor: Theresa DeCarlo CIP Code: 51.0601
The Dental Occupations program integrates lectures, demonstrations, and hands-on experiences to teach students a variety of dental related subjects. The program provides leading-edge training for a career as a dental assistant and also prepares students interested in attending a post-secondary institution to become a dental hygienist, expanded-function dental assistant or a dentist.
The curriculum covers an introduction to healthcare, infection control, safety and emergency procedures, ethical/legal responsibilities, anatomy and physiology related to dentistry, patient care and procedures, office procedures, dental pain and anxiety control, radiology, operative dentistry, dental materials, dental laboratory procedures, basics of oral surgery, periodontics, and prosthodontics.
By completing this program, students are well-prepared for their chosen careers. As dental assistants, they assist dentists during examination and treatment of patients. Students learn to prepare patients for treatment, sterilize instruments, prepare materials and make study models from impressions, expose and process x-ray film, use digital imaging, and provide chairside assistance for the dentist.
BLS Healthcare Provider
Radiation Health & Safety (RHS)
OSHA/CareerSafe 10-Hour Certification
Anatomy, Morphology and Physiology (AMP)
Infection Control Examination (ICE)
Required Safety Gear
· One Black V-Neck Scrub Tops with BCTC Logo
· One Pairs Black Scrub Pants
· One Pair of White Zone Clogs
|N/A||White crew socks||N/A|
The link provided for each book title will take you to Amazon.com. Please note that you are NOT required to purchase the books from Amazon. You may purchase the books from any vendor.
First & Second Year Students
Modern Dental Assisting – by Doni L. Bird CDA RDH MA and Debbie S. Robinson CDA MS; 13th Edition
ISBN #: 978-0323624855
Third Year Students
Dental Radiography: Principles and Techniques – by Joen Iannucci DDS MS and Laura Jansen Howerton RDH MS; 6th Edition
ISBN-13 #: 978-0323695503
Tool / Supply / Protective Equipment
|Quantity Needed||Level 1, 2, or 3||Approximate Cost||Suggested Vendor|
|Footwear Requirement: White unisex zone clogs||1 pair||Level 1||$27.00||APEX – BCTC Uniform Store|
* BCTC will pay for one pair of safety glasses (if required) and may assist with payment for the testing fees or core certification tests (first time only). Additional safety glasses and testing fees must be paid by the student.
Program Entrance Recommendations:
- Reading at grade level
- Calculate proportions, ratios, percents. Basic knowledge of fractions and decimals
- Problem solving/troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Hand-eye coordination
- Emotionally mature
- Desire to work directly with people
- Dental Assistant
- Sterilization Assistant
- Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)
- Certified Laboratory Technician
- Dental Hygienist
- Dental Assistant Instructor
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant