Location: East Campus (Oley) Instructor: RC Youse
A Senior Only Program
The Diversified Occupations (DO) program combines classroom instruction with on-the-job training that aligns with the career interest of high school seniors. This unique program furthers BCTC’s partnership with business and industry to foster the skills needed for today’s workforce. This experience is designed to integrate classroom study focused on 21st-century skills along with a planned, supervised work experience.
Career competencies and hands-on skills are developed at the job site under the direction of a designated supervisor. Related classroom theory is offered through a hybrid model of instruction at the student’s high school. Maintaining employment and class attendance is essential to the successful completion of the course requirements.
The DO program is designed to:
1. Provide training in a career and technical area not presently being offered at BCTC or the sending high school.
2. Provide training for students who need an alternative form of education to meet their unique needs.
Students enrolled in the DO program are required to:
1. Be supervised on-the-job by a cooperating employer on a one-to-one basis.
2. Be visited on-the-job, at least once every 30 days by the Diversified Occupations coordinator.
3. Attend scheduled instruction and complete all required academic coursework.
4. Be employed at least 15 hours per week during or after school hours.
Instruction in the DO program encompasses the competencies necessary to succeed in today’s world-of-work. Learning activities based on career planning and development are generated through hybrid instruction.
OSHA/CareerSafe 10-Hour Certification
Purchase of uniform may be required by employer.
- Transportation required for all work experiences
- Must be entering final year of high school
Program Entrance Recommendations:
- Obtain employment before the start of the school year
- Ability to reading, write, and apply math skills to real-world setting
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to follow multi-step directions
- Excellent work ethic
What You'll Learn:
- Career Development and Planning
- Employment Acquisition
- Human Relations
- Health and Safety
- Employment Retention
- Communications Development
- Legal Awareness
- Consumer Skills
- Future Planning
- Technical-Related Instruction